I always had this doubt about whether Dragon Ball GT was an official, canonical sequel of Dragon Ball Z or not. I know that Akira Toriyama helped in the development, but did he write any of it?
Welcome to Anime & Manga Stack Exchange
Anime and Manga is a question and answer site for enthusiastic anime and manga fans. It's built and run by you as part of the Stack Exchange network of Q&A sites. With your help, we're working together to build a library of detailed answers to every question about anime and manga.
We're a little bit different from other sites. Here's how:
Ask questions, get answers, no distractions
This site is all about getting answers. It's not a discussion forum. There's no chit-chat.
Good answers are voted up and rise to the top.
The best answers show up first so that they are always easy to find.
The person who asked can mark one answer as "accepted".
Accepting doesn't mean it's the best answer, it just means that it worked for the person who asked.
How involved was Akira Toriyama in the production of Dragon Ball GT?
Dragon Ball GT was produced by Toei Animation, one of the anime companies used to produce Dragon Ball Z.
Akira Toriyama did not write any of the episodes though, that's true. They're all fillers.
Dragon Ball GT was produced by the same companies as Dragon Ball Z, so technically it can be considered a sequel.
However, there is one 'but': this is more of an OVA than an adaption of the manga; in fact, Dragon Ball GT was never a manga. So in anime terms: yes, Dragon Ball GT is the official sequel, but not in manga terms.
Get answers to practical, detailed questions
Focus on questions about an actual problem you have faced. Include details about what you have tried and exactly what you are trying to do.
- Plot, character, or setting explanations
- Historical or societal context of an anime or manga
- Anime and manga identification (please follow these guidelines)
- Franchise/series reading or viewing order
- Anime and manga production
- Tropes, terminology and other general anime and manga related information.
If you find that the tag for the particular series you want to ask about does not exist, simply tag your question with the "retag" tag and another user with the appropriate privilege will retag your question accordingly.
Not all questions work well in our format. Avoid questions that are primarily opinion-based, or that are likely to generate discussion rather than answers.
Questions that need improvement may be closed until someone fixes them.
Don't ask about...
- Anything not directly related to anime and manga: What's up with that weird emblem on Japanese mailboxes?
- Questions about the Japanese language, which should be on Japanese Language
- Questions about the gameplay of anime-related and/or manga-related games, which should be on Arqade
- Questions calling for out-of-universe lists: What are all the anime that feature X? What are all the manga by Y? See: Good List vs. Bad List and How do we deal with out-of-universe questions?
- Reading or watching recommendations: I liked X, what should I watch next?
– You're welcome to use our main chat room to ask about such topics
- Questions requesting illegal or copyrighted information: Where can I watch anime X online? Where can I download chapters of manga Y?
- Questions about fansubs or other fan-translations: When is X group going to do Y release for Z series in Q language?
- Questions on making your own anime or manga, as they involve specific expertise outside the scope of this community. See: Are Questions about "How to make Anime and Manga" off-topic?
- Questions about unannounced/speculative future events in regard to anime or manga production: Will manga X get an anime adaptation? Are they going to make a Nth season of Y anime? See: What do we do with questions about future events/releases?
- Asking for the lyrics of a piece of music
- Shopping recommendations/discussions: Should I buy X or Y? or Where is the best place to buy X? See: How should we deal with questions asking for where to buy, watch, anime or manga media or such related merchandise?
– Note that there are plenty of questions about anime figures and other merchandise which are acceptable, but anything asking us to compare products or vendors isn't constructive.
You earn reputation when people vote on your posts
Your reputation score goes up when others vote up your questions, answers and edits.
As you earn reputation, you'll unlock new privileges like the ability to vote, comment, and even edit other people's posts.
|125||Vote down (costs 1 rep on answers)|
At the highest levels, you'll have access to special moderation tools. You'll be able to work alongside our community moderators to keep the site focused and helpful.
|500||Vote to close, reopen, or migrate questions|
|1000||Edit other people's posts|
|2000||Access to moderation tools|
Improve posts by editing or commenting
Our goal is to have the best answers to every question, so if you see questions or answers that can be improved, you can edit them.
Use edits to fix mistakes, improve formatting, or clarify the meaning of a post.
Unlock badges for special achievements
Badges are special achievements you earn for participating on the site. They come in three levels: bronze, silver, and gold.
Find a question to answer, or ask your own
Anime & Manga Stack Exchange is part of the Stack Exchange network
Like this site? Stack Exchange is a network of 142 Q&A sites just like it. Check out the full list of sites.