If there's even a name for it?

I saw this question that explains why but I'd love to know if there's a name for it. The linked question mentions superdeformed but I figured there's a Japanese name, if there's anything.

They do it in many anime (and manga) and it's used with the character is embarrassed, sometimes it's when they're tired, annoyed, or confused.

It reminds me of chibi but it's even simpler than that and doesn't really make them look like kid-versions.

From Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood:

From Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

  • idk but it seems like "cartoonification" as in loss of details, which is basically what you described – Hakase Mar 7 '15 at 11:08
  • I feel that your example image is not very representative of what you are trying to ask. – nhahtdh Mar 7 '15 at 14:19
  • @nhahtdh Why not? – Catija Mar 7 '15 at 19:26
  • I'm not even sure if he is embarrassed. If you are asking for the name of the style of art when character displays strong emotions, then I think you should clarify. – nhahtdh Mar 7 '15 at 19:40
  • @nhahtdh changed... sorry, I was brain addled with lack of sleep when I asked. – Catija Mar 7 '15 at 19:48

In all the artist references and sources I've used for drawing manga, I've never come across a standard name for the style. I've sometimes seen it referred to as deformation, with super-deformation chibi style at the end of the spectrum.

More often I've seen it referred to simply as exaggeration, as it's exaggerating the facial features and body language to emphasize the depicted emotions.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.