When we have scene showing a person (or many people) sleeping soundly, it's quite common to have one of them saying "I can't eat anymore" 「もう食べられないよ…」 in their sleep.
According to this forum thread on ANN, this trope has been observed in:
- Cowboy Bebop (by Edward)
- Air in Summer (by Kanna)
- Inu-Yasha (by Shippo)
- Super Milk Chan (by Milk-Chan)
- CardCaptor Sakura (by Kero, also inverts the joke in one instance)
- Sailor Moon (by Usagi)
- Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (by Tessa)
- Gokujou Seitokai (by Randou Rino, in episode 24)
Since the forum thread above is from 2006, the examples are quite old. Below are some recent examples:
- Brynhildr in the Darkness (by Kotori)
Thanks to Pawl Rowe for providing the example above
(Feel free to edit in more examples and images showing this trope, preferably from recent series).
What is the origin of this trope?