Let me illustrate what I mean with a GIF:

Naoi believes wings for the president is fitting

Usually, the scenes between the three or four consecutive shots don't differ much except the zoom-ins (or whatever shots are used).

A variation of this technique was termed the "threepeat tilt up" by a redditor, but is that the correct technical term for this kind of shots? Would the above GIF be called a "fourpeat zoom in"?

Also, was this technique borrowed from the film industry, or was it invented in anime?

  • I wonder if it's done for dramatic or comedic effect. I can't think of any anime-unique scenarios in which this is done, but it does have similarities to the zoom effects we've seen in film.
    – Makoto
    Nov 5, 2016 at 18:10

1 Answer 1


These are consecutive axial cuts.

Axial cuts are used rarely in contemporary cinema, but were fairly common in the cinema of the 1910s and 1920s.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .