I'm referring to the shorter-in-duration anime, such as Aiura, Recorder and Randsell, and Morita-san is Quiet. These anime do not run for the "normal" duration of 22 or more minutes.

Is there any official terminology for these types of anime?

1 Answer 1


I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but according to Japanese Wikipedia articles for those series, they can be called tanpen anime (短編アニメ, short anime).


From April to June 2013, a 5 minute tanpen anime was aired on TV Tokyo and Nico Nico Douga.

Recorder and Randsell:

5分枠の短編アニメで、2012年1月より『リコーダーとランドセル ド♪』のタイトルでテレビ埼玉、KBS京都にて放送された。
A 5 minute tanpen anime was aired starting in January 2012 on TV Saitama and KBS Kyoto as "Recorder and Randsell Do♪".


From July to September 2011, TV Saitama, KBS Kyoto, and Nico Nico channel aired a 5 minute tanpen anime with the title as "Morita-san wa Mukuchi.".


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .