In many anime, a student council president or senior member uses essentially a paper 'fan' to discipline others. Kind of looks like a paper that has been folded up.

Is it really a fan of some sort or something different? Does it has a specific name (in Japanese)?

1 Answer 1


That'd be a Harisen, a paper fan used extensively in manzai comedy by the tsukkomi to smack the bokke's funny antics. I guess it just bleeded into anime for its comedic factor.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .