I've always liked this quirky anime technique, which was used in Magic Knight Rayearth, but what is it called and how does it work? How do you animate it and when does it get used?

magic knight rayearth - chibi

I also found this run in Gokudo the Adventurer


  • Are you referring to the Chibi style of drawing the characters smaller, or to the short clips which usually feature this style? The clips generally come during the middle (before and after ad breaks) or "In the next episode" segments of an episode. – TheGamer007 Jun 17 '19 at 17:50
  • 2
    @TheGamer007 as his title mentions "run" I assume he is talking about the feet turning into what seems like cloudy circles instead – Dimitri mx Jun 17 '19 at 18:17
  • @Dimitrimx ah, I completely misinterpreted that. Thanks. – TheGamer007 Jun 17 '19 at 18:28
  • 1
    is there a name for it? – Kenny M. Jun 17 '19 at 19:58
  • 1
    you might want to also add what do you mean by "how does it work?" you mean how does it work being animated or how does the run work in real life? – Memor-X Jun 17 '19 at 23:48

It's most likely a mix of,

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.