They usually happen on cliffhanger scenes, placed before a commercial or at the end of an episode. Kind of acts like a summary of the scene in one still shot, stylized different than the rest of the animation.

Examples: enter image description here enter image description here

Video examples to give context here and here. They happen at the very end of the videos.

  • 2
    Screens shown before and after a commercial break are called Eye Catch but that doesn't fit your examples. The closest thing I have found would be Pastel Chalked Freeze Frame. – Turamarth May 21 '20 at 7:00
  • That "Pastel" page you linked had the term, "harmony cel," which is what I was looking for. Most harmony cels I've seen have that pastel effect to emphasize the shot as different than the rest of the animation, but I imagine there are some that don't have the effect. Thanks! – ancient-chef May 21 '20 at 12:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.