Tokyo Ghoul (Japanese: 東京喰種-トーキョーグール-) is a manga series by Sui Ishida. It follows the story of Kaneki Ken, transformed into a half-ghoul, half-human hybrid and forced to adapt to their lifestyle in order to survive.
Tokyo Ghoul (Japanese: 東京喰種-トーキョーグール-) is a dark fantasy manga series written by Sui Ishida. The history takes place in a world where Tokyo is divided between humans and ghouls, creatures that must eat human flesh to survive. Ken Kaneki, after an encounter with one of them, becomes a half-ghoul and has to deal with his new condition.
The manga was serialized in Shueisha's seinen manga magazine Weekly Young Jump between September 2011 and September 2014 and has been collected in fourteen tankōbon volumes as of August 2014.
A single volume prequel manga Tokyo Ghoul: JACK, diffused on Jump Live between August 2013 and September 2013, following the youths of Kishō Arima and Taishi Fura.
A sequel titled Tokyo Ghoul:re began serialization on October 16, 2014. The series is set 3 years after the end of the original series and introduces a new set of characters.
Three light novels have been released so far and all are written by Shin Towada, with illustrations done by series creator Sui Ishida.
- Tokyo Ghoul: Hibi was released on June 19, 2013 and serves as sidestory/spin off that focuses on the daily lives of characters from the Tokyo Ghoul series.
- Tokyo Ghoul: Kūhaku was released on June 19, 2014 and fills in the 6 month time gap between volumes 8 and 9 of the first series.
- Tokyo Ghoul: Sekijitsu was released on December 19, 2014. It takes place before the events of the main series and focuses on further backstory of certain Tokyo Ghoul characters, including Touka Kirishima, Ayato Kirishima and series protagonist Ken Kaneki.
Two anime television series were made by Pierrot studio from the original manga, they were both directed by Shuhei Morita, written by Chūji Mikasano and featured music by Yutaka Yamada.
- Tokyo Ghoul, started on July 4, 2014 and finished on September 19, 2014.
- Tokyo Ghoul √A, following the first adaptation, started on January 8, 2015 and finished on March 26, 2015
Two OVA were released at the end of 2015:
- Tokyo Ghoul: JACK, adapted from the manga prequel of the same name on September 30, 2015. It was directed by Sōichi Shimada, written by Chūji Mikasano and features music by Yutaka Yamada.
- Tokyo Ghoul: PINTO, was released on December 25th, 2015. It is based on the third story from the novel Tokyo Ghoul: Hibi.
Tokyo Ghoul Wikipedia page
The Tokyo Ghoul Wiki